mercoledì 31 ottobre 2012

VeganMoFo: Fajitas

Ciao ciao! :)

This is the last day of MoFo and I have to say I'm very happy to have been a part of it this year. I didn't think I could come to the end, but it seems I've made it! :)

When I started writing for MoFo, I said I was going to write some Italian recipes and some new findings, but I forgot to tell you I could write something different. I mean something which is not Italian and not related to my national traditions, but something I acquired which became a part of my personal tradition. So, let's talk about fajitas today! :)

I had my first fajita in Dublin. Yes, I know, it sounds weird. Fajitas make you think about Spanish culture and Dublin is not Spanish at all. :)
I spent a year in Dublin for my Erasmus - for non-EU, Erasmus is a university programme which enables you to spend a semester or a year abroad - and it was a special time of my life. I had the opportunity to live with and meet a lot of different people with a lot of different cultures and nowadays, I can't imagine my life without that experience. Sometimes, I wonder how I could live before... 

One of the best things was being the only Italian of the crowd. And yes, being a minority wasn't easy, but it gave me the opportunity to see all the others, to realize that your culture is not better than another and the others are not better than yours, but they're just different, and difference is a part of the game and it's probably that little thing that add some spice to the whole.

I lived in a small campus - but I attended classes in the big campus - in a residence I didn't like at first. I had to share the toilet, it was far from the main campus and I would have liked to share an apartment on the main campus... I realized only later that living in that residence was the best thing ever! :) Not only for the parties, no no. But for the close relationship we had - we waited for each other after college to go home on foot together - it took an hour! -, and then we cooked together, and we had dinner together and cooking traditions mixed up! 

I remember that after Pancake Tuesday we started celebrating it every single Tuesday, because it was an occasion for being together and having fun. And we had pancakes every single Tuesday for 4 months! Pancake Tuesday wasn't a tradition for most of us and we thought it was really nice! :) 
Sometimes, we switched pancakes with les crêpes françaises et mmmm, c'était délicieux!
At first, we had Spanish dinners, Chinese dinners, Irish breakfast... for dinner, Swedish candies, German beer, my little contribution and many others. And then everything changed: we had Spanish cheesecakes, French fajitas, German wine, Swedish risotto, Italian porridge, international apple crumbles and many others.
I can't remember when we started making fajitas, but I'm sure it is due to a French friend of mine who is of Spanish descent and all that I remember is that I loved our fajita dinners! :)

We used to make fajitas with red beans, red peppers, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and everything was hot. Very hot!
But here you'll find my Italian fajitas! ;)



Ingredients (for 2 tortillas)
  • 100 gr of flour
  • 50 ml of water
  • a pinch pf salt
  • 1/2 tbsp pf evo oil 


Directions
  • Put flour in a bowl and make a little fountain - a hole in the middle of flour where you'll add the other ingredients.
  • Add salt, water and oil, and mix for a few minutes until you get a ball.
  • Wrap your ball in a clingfilm and leave it to rest for half an hour. In the fridge, if you want.
  • Then, cut it into two parts and roll it out with a rolling pin on a pastry board. Pay attention to get a round tortilla.
  • Preheat a nonstick skillet and cook your tortilla for 2-3 mins each side.
  • Tortillas are ready! ;)

Ingredients (for the salad)
  • Needless to say, you can be more creative than me. Anyway, this is the salad you can see in the picture.
  • Lettuce or iceberg or cappuccina
  • 1 tomato cut into cubes (no seeds)
  • 2-3 tbsp of cannellini beans
  • 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
  • a few shredded walnut kernels
  • a drizzle of evo oil
  • a pinch of salt
  • (if you have red peppers, add a few cut into cubes)


Ingredients (for the sauce)
  • 1 can of cannellini beans
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of black pepper
  • a pinch of chilli pepper
  • a drizzle of oil
  • (if you have red peppers, add a few before blending)

Directions
  • Cook you beans for a couple of mins and take 2 or 3 tbsp for the salad.
  • Add red pepper, if you have it - it think it's a nice flavour - and blend until you get a smooth cream. Leave it to cool.
  • Make your salad - you don't need my directions to make a salad! ;)
  • Now, put 1-2 tbsp of sauce on your tortilla and add your salad on one half of the tortilla!



  • Fold both sides towards the middle, like this:

  • Fold the bottom, like this:
My best pic so far. Congrats to me! ;) :P

  • And enjoy your Italian fajitas
Buon appetito! :)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Ti potrebbero anche interessare:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...